Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Try it Tuesday

Monday, I was recovering from some crazy motivation over the weekend.  It was hot, but quiet, which is probably what spurred the level of activity.  

I spent Saturday purging various spots in the house.  I piled more stuff into the laundry room, which needed purging so I could do laundry.  Sunday it was time.  I'd been denying its existence.  I'd been finding other things to do.  It was getting ugly; really, really ugly.  It was time to face-down the basement, which includes my studio.  I dragged stuff back to the store room and up into crawl space.  I put stuff away.  I moved things around.  I opened up some spots, and overstuffed a few others.  I may have nightmares about really digging in and decluttering 25 years worth of stuff down there.  I'm so not looking forward to it; in fact it's not even a category on my Big To-Do List, yet.  

I have some horizontal surfaces to sort out down there and then I can re-set-up my work table.  And when that occurs I might actually be able to scrap at home, though I do tend to be pretty productive at a crop.  

But, if like me, you're ready to tackle some creative paper maneuvering, I'll get you set up.  We'll start with this color pallet.  You can always work from other pallets, found on the Color Theory board.


These colors are bright and primary based and are what is great about the summer; its vivid colors.  They'll cover you for swimming, vacation, BBQ's, park trips and more.  They'll also have your back for other seasons.



You can find a nice summer example in the August '14 Bigger kit (which might be on sale ;D), and the Fancy Pants Nautical line (top).


Next is a non-summer example.  The Jillibean Holly Berry Borscht (right), from the Bigger December '14 (and this one might be on sale, too), shows you how these colors speak to a much different season.  Besides the Christmas and Holiday theme, the B-Sides will help you add color to snow and winter scenes, where color is a little less lively.



Remember, inspiration is all around.  Just like the photo from this pallet.  The obvious first - water.  Think water patterned paper whether it's waves or shimmers.  Diecut waves.  Wave borders.  Look other water things - boats, beach balls, swimsuits, floaties, etc.  The plastic stripes make me think of all the great enamel embellishments out right now - dots, letters, alphabets, even some papers are embossed with it.  The plastic also has me thinking about ribbons or strips of patterned papers.  Both the water and the plastic in the photos shimmers or shines, so maybe it's time to dig out those misting sprays and either add it to your background or cover and customize some embellishment, maybe one that wouldn't otherwise work with the layout.  There's a transparent nature to everything; hello Washi Tape!

Because you know I love 'em.  A Page Maps sketch.  I mean, look at all the "stripes."  Look to put Washi Tape, if you have it, if not strips of patterned paper, where you see the scallops (black) or even between the photos on the right side, instead of patterned paper.



Now, if you're having to set-up your scrap space, fine, but don't use that as a reason to not create this week.  Drag a kit, a portable self-contained Apron Strings kit, up to your kitchen/dining room table or counter and get moving!

Happy Tuesday,

No comments: