Thursday, June 26, 2014

Adventures in Purging - Part 2

You can find Part 1 HERE.

Today's advice/suggestion/tip goes for the rest of your home and wardrobe, why shouldn't it apply to your scrap supplies, too?  Is it broken or dirty? 




This is/was my first Cricut (yes, I had two.)  This one just stopped working one day; one day a long (too long) time ago.  The power won't come on and it has just sat on a shelf, taking up space and making me think, "I should have that looked at" every time I see it.  I have two men in my life who could probably trouble shoot the problem in a matter of minutes and either fix it or tell me it's a lost cause.  

As crafters there's an odd mind-set that all things need to be kept.  I don't know if it's a "I spent money on this" guilt or what.  But it's time to get over it.  If you had a skillet that was broken, you'd either fix it, or toss it and buy a new one.  If you pants were frayed and torn, and not by design, you'd toss them.  So why are we keeping the punch that sticks every time?  Or the dull scissors?  Or the paper that is totally faded (though they're not supposed to do that)?  I guarantee you the skillet and pants cost more, yet we manage to identify they are broken and let them go.

If the item is not in working order, if it’s frayed, torn, stained, ugly, or otherwise unsightly, think about moving along.  Note:  If the given item can be restored to working order, then do it.  Now.  Today.  Otherwise, it's going to sit, unusable, again.  If you can't take the time right now to fix it, you won't later (hello, Cricut...shelf...years...no power), so let it go.

As for my little Cricut there.  I've got a couple days to see if someone can tell me it can be fixed - parting it out is not an option, so it won't be listed to eBay.  If it's a quick fix it'll go in the garage sale, otherwise adiós little Cricut, you served us well.

Today, go find three things that are broken, sticky, dull, torn, faded, whatever and get rid of them.  If you need a replacement, make a list.

Go. Purge.

2 comments:

jengd said...

I'm with you on this one. I have one of the old 6x12" Cricuts still hanging around that unless you find the sweet spot, you can't power on or off- it usually takes about a minute to find the right angle. It's still here. I have a Silhouette. Have for a year and a half. I still have the Cricut. Haven't used it in over 2yrs. *sigh*

Lori S @ Apron Strings said...

Jen - a sweet spot. . .didn't try that with. . .no wait. . .my Cricut had its day and it's time to move on to life with my Silhoutette. Did you trash or giveaway yours?? ;D