Friday, June 20, 2014

Adventures in Purging - Part 1

The StashBusters class was great - if they offer it again, take it!  Seriously.  Take it.  Have I said that enough?  Is it coming across that it's among my faves?  Not only did I create (and I created a lot), but I dug in and dug out.  I used new stuff and old stuff.  I used stuff I forgot about (eyelets) or that I've always wanted to (stamps.) It inspired Throw Back Thursdays and has me rethinking the storage of my embellishments.



While the thrust of the class was to use your stash, it was mentioned at least once (or maybe I read that into the class) that if you don't love it, let it go.  I think the letting it go part, especially after a class where digging into your stash and sort of reacquainting yourself with it, is easier to do, but it's not necessary.  I, myself, dug into some of my old, like way old, kits.  I'd sorted them out a few years ago (purging should be more frequent) and hadn't touched or thought of them since.  As a result, the kids' school was the recipient of a large box of, mostly, patterned paper and cardstock.


So, I thought I'd PSA (Public Service Announcement) my purging process with you in the hopes that it'll help you part ways with products you don't reach for, maybe never have.  It's freeing - in mind, spirit and in space.  Why are we so attached to products that do nothing for us, anyway?



First a quick note about my own stash.  I don't have specific paper storage, loose paper, that is.  I'd say 95% of my stash is in kits (as seen above.)  I use them that way, and they stay that way until I've put all that I can to use.  Once I'm done with a kit, I'll pull out any remaining embellishments, but the papers are either tossed or put in the donate box.  I have some collections of a particular line, but those are treated just like a kit - together until the bitter end.  I can tell by my current storage that if I had loose paper, it'd be stored by manufacturer.  Cardstock is by color.  Embellishment storage is under review - but currently sorted by the type of embellishment with brads, buttons and ribbon also broken down by color.

I'll make these posts short, well after today's, that is.  Today, part one:

As you sit with a pile, drawer or stack in front of you, ask yourself, "Do I have to talk myself into it?" 

Oftentimes I’ll put something in the “toss” pile, knowing without a doubt that I am not in love with the object or the potential projects it represents. But then I do the double-think thing, telling myself, “Weeeelll, I could paint it yellow/take it apart/learn how to use it…” If you find yourself talking yourself into keeping something, stop. Let it go. Move on. There are plenty of projects and supplies to love without forcing yourself into a half-hearted relationship with Mr. Not-Quite-Right.  If you're an altering-it-to-fit kind of crafter you wouldn't be considering that particular item for the toss/giveaway pile.

Look around your space.  Toss or give away the first five things you find where you are talking yourself into keeping.  

Go.  Purge.

3 comments:

Susanne said...

I had taken the stashbusters class a while back, and I agree it is a good one. I'm interested in seeing your additional posts on purging. I don't keep my kits together for a long period of time - usually when they are about half done, I'm ready to move on and so I sort things out into loose paper and embellishments. For me they are apt to get new life in my eyes if they are surrounded by new friends.

wendipooh13 said...

great great post!!! I totally just purged this week... cuz we were moving.. LOL.. so kinda had to, but I got rid of sooooo much!!

Lori S @ Apron Strings said...

S - I know of several scrapbookers who break apart their kits, too. I think adding new product to older stash is an excellent way of breathing in new life. . .or introducing new friends. LOL

Wendi - funny how moving, or a garage sale, can motivate you to clean out.