Thursday, May 1, 2014

Throw Back Thursday and a Challenge

Throw Back Thursday (#TBT) is apparently a big thing on Facebook and Instagram.  If you're not in the know, it's when you post some photo from your past.  Some of my family members reach way back.  And while it is amusing, I refrain from this practice.

I did come up with something to do on Throw Back Thursday.  I was inspired by the StashBusters class I'm taking and thought, "Why not go back and get a really old kit and use it."  Heaven knows I have plenty!  I also thought about sharing older layouts, but like the photos from the 70's and 80's, some are just meant to stay within families.

So that's what I did.  I grabbed a very old, Smaller than a Breadbox 2009 (Cosmo Cricket) to be exact, kit and my next week of photos for Project Life® and got to work.  I used Challenge #5 from the StashBusters class and a sketch I'd pinned from October Afternoon.  



Challenge #5 was about using buttons.  A lot of buttons.  I tried.  Really, I did.  I tried to make shapes with buttons like suggested; the handout and gallery showed groups of buttons in flower shapes.  I just couldn't do it.  I don't know if it was because I don't have a lot of one size/one color buttons (I don't have a lot of buttons to begin with) or it I just couldn't get my brain around it, but it just wasn't coming together.  I did however, get seven buttons on this one layout - which is like triple what I'd normally put on a page.



I used the majority of the kit on the layout, but had some patterned paper, a couple flowers and a couple canvas tags left.  I also thought, surely I can make a button flower happen on a card.  Nope.  I shoved buttons around, added buttons, took them off and generally messed around for longer than is reasonably required (especially for a card) before I decided it just isn't in the cards for me and the buttons.  But I have two more cards for my stash, another layout done, another challenge crossed off, some languishing stash put to work and an old kit used up.

Now, my challenge to you is to participate in Throw Back Thursday by using something really old from your stash.  Create a layout or card or even some seasonal decor and post a link to it in the comments.  I may be persuaded to give a prize away to a random poster.  You'll have until next Thursday to post something.  Come on. . .a week!  You can do that.

Happy Thursday,

2 comments:

Donna Nuce said...

Here's a real throwback for me!
http://craftycolonel.blogspot.com/2014/05/load-day-2.html

jengd said...

Burning up a BG kit I picked up quite a while back: http://jensunchartedterritory.blogspot.com/2014/05/big-day-layouts.html