Friday, October 25, 2013

Recipe Round-up and Croptober

 
This tree, in our backyard, is full of gold.  And set against a brilliant morning blue sky it's amazing.  It truly brings peace. 
 

 
Below the tree is a carpet of leaves.  I was tempted (may still try) to hang out of our upstairs bedroom window to really try to capture the carpet of leaves in our backyard.  I love it.  I'm sure it won't last long, as hubby will be blowing/raking them up soon.  He's hunting on Sunday, so maybe tomorrow they'll be gone.  Once the lawn is all cleared of leaves, it's just not the same.  I wait for, and watch, as more leaves to drift out of the tree to re-carpet the yard.  That is fall!
 
This week, and last, I cooked almost solely from the I Can Cook That Pin board.  I scrolled all the way to the bottom (no small feat) to pull out some of the pins that have been there the longest.  If you're looking for recipes for the weekend there are a couple that are quick to pull together and set out for the family while you do some crafty things.
 
  • We are huge Chinese Take-Out fans.  When I found this Orange Sesame Chicken recipe, mashing two of our favorites, I pinned it right away.  Made it this week and it was great!  The one change I may make next time is doing the glaze separately, but only because I like my chicken crunchy.  Cooking in the glaze definitely imparted a lot of flavor.  A lot!
  • We are also pretty big Thai fans and this Pork with Peanut Sauce was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.  The sauce alone was worth the recipe.  I always worry when cooking with pork loin, they can get overdone quickly and become dry and blah.  But this was great.  Moist.  Tender.  Maybe because I butterflied it.  Or maybe because I did it on an indoor grill.  Who knows, but it was good.  Served with fried rice and the next day made wraps with the rice, pork and sauce.
  • Snickerdoodle Bread - this was the epic fail last week when I tried to just make one loaf.  I don't have eggs in the house, but will be making this again when I have them - hopefully this weekend.
  • Cheese Enchilada Casserole - this too was good and fast.  Perfect for leaving on the stove for late arrivals to eat.  I used corn tortillas, but would try the flour.  I also thought about using corn chips or tostada shells between the layers for some crunch.
  • Crunch Wrap Supremes - This is a repeat recipe and the family loves them.  I used my most recent homemade taco seasoning and love it (still have another couple to taste test.)  I don't bake the corn tortillas as in the recipe, I fry them in a little oil.  For us baking leaves them too chewy.  You could also use tostada shells.
  • I also made Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal for a week of breakfasts and Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake, both are on the I Cooked That board.  Both are amazing.  The oatmeal feels more dessert-y and I really should cut the topping recipe in half, but it just seems irreverent to mess with butter and sugar that way.  And if you like Gooey Butter Cake, then you've got to try a Pumpkin version.
It always feels good to move things off one Pinterest board, even if I'm moving it to another board.  Now I just need a way to organize my printed recipes from Pinterest - or we need a touch screen computer in the kitchen, because the tower of recipes is getting out of hand.
 
I have many plans for my day - and I may actually be able to tackle a few since I'm not cooking our standing dinner tonight.  We have family pictures scheduled and will be grabbing something out afterward.  I would love to be able to play a little if I get my must-do's done.  I would love, love to do something like this, but instead it'll be your Croptober inspiration.  Found on Pinterest, but I followed it to CreateExpectations Etsy store - such cute stuff!!
 

What to choose from though - the mix of papers?  The colors?  Using glitter or something glittered?  Using one letter to create a monogram on a layout or card.  Or even as a home décor piece?  Using several lengths of various ribbons?  Tying bundles of berries or leaves or just knotting the ribbons on the layout or card?  Creating the look of berries by scattering buttons, brads or jewels across the page or card.  My mind is a whirl!  AAUUGGHH.
 
I think that's enough information for one post. 
 
Happy Friday!
 

2 comments:

Charlene said...

I love these FALL letters and colors!!! We were still sick and recovering so I couldn't play but hopefully will be able to this coming week!

Lori said...

Aren't those the cutest things!?

I'm sorry to hear your household is sick. Hopefully you're getting better and can play the final week. :)