Thursday, August 15, 2013

Soccer Freedom

This is the first time in more than a decade we don't have anyone playing soccer.  We enjoyed a full July where we didn't have to wet down practice jerseys in cold water to combat the heat.  Or freeze water bottles for practices.  Or slather ourselves in sun screen to stand in the sweltering sun during pre-season tournaments.  Or have laundry room filled with crusty, dirty, smelly soccer gear.

It's the first time in over a decade we aren't juggling practice times, or planning routes and schedules to make overlapping game times (sometimes I think the military could learn a thing or two from families with kids in sports!)  Or tripping over bags and cleats dropped in the hallway...again.  Or discussing new strategies or tweaking footwork over family meals.  Or calling the weekend tournament out of town a "family vacation."

It's the first time in over a decade I won't get to see my kids become different people when their cleats hit the field.  I won't see them transform into these athletes who rarely show fear when taking on the opponent.  Who face down an oncoming player with determination on their faces.  Who can go after a ball with such intent.  Who show such elation at a big pass, assist or their own shot on goal, let alone the pure joy when that ball slides down the inside of the net.  Who can identify their own hard work and improved skills.

It's the first time in over a decade where soccer isn't coming first and we're able to enjoy other things as a family.


Happy Thursday,

3 comments:

wendipooh13 said...

ahhhh I'm a soccer chick so I'm sad to hear it.. luckily I have one who is still playing and hoping my lil one will in a couple of years too. But I agree, it's nice to have a break from practices and saturday games..

Lori said...

Well, that's just the older three - I still have the 4 y.o. and whatever sport he chooses to take on. Plus, the older three may yet take up some other sport or instrument. So the chaos of running could still be in my future. LOL

:)

wendipooh13 said...

LOL!!! I agree, it never stops!!! my son left soccer last year and has moved on to baseball so now we juggle two sports instead of just the one. :)