Thursday, August 1, 2013

Pest or Snack (though not for me)?

Yesterday's Phone Photography assignment was "Green."  In the summer it's something we have a lot of - or should in non-drought years.  Green grass underfoot.  Green-leafed trees above.  Green vistas.  Green, green, green.  I went through my day with my assignment in my head, as I do when I'm lucky enough to get to read the assignment in the morning.

Flash forward and I was out pinching the blooms off my Cilantro and Basil and headed over to check out my Parsley and noticed this very hungry caterpillar, aka Parsley Worm, which will cocoon and come out a beautiful Swallow Tail Butterfly - if they aren't snapped up by birds first (apparently becoming a snack is more common for these guys than becoming said butterfly.)  This fellow, and two of his fat friends, were happily munching the leaves of my Parsley.  And making quick work of it, I might add.  I wanted them relocated to the park.  My daughter wanted to keep one to see if it would cocoon in captivity.  In the end I left them on the plant overnight.  I checked this morning and could only see one fat caterpillar.  :(  I'm not sure if the other two had moved down and empty stalk and were hidden from view or if, they too, had became a statistic.  I captured one of them for my assignment yesterday.


I'm so sad this Photo class is over.  I've had a really fun time getting the assignments every morning, looking for and snapping photos and picking up more apps than I will know what to do with.  I'll have to go through them and see what I am using and un-install the rest since they do take up a fair amount of space on my phone.  I have today's assignment and then a look back to see what I need to finish up.

It'll be fun to have these views in my Project Life album.  I'm hoping to be able to re-use the prompts in the fall and see what difference a season makes.  This is where having a blog schedule might come in handy. . .

Happy Thursday,

2 comments:

wendipooh13 said...

what a cool lil critter!!! My kids would love to keep it as a pet!!!

Lori said...

They were fun to watch. We relocated two, and my daughter captured one. We set him back in the plant, but now he's gone. :( Having the we-should-have-left-him-alone guilt.