Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Lost Weekend



With their warrior haircuts, my two boys took to the fields at the tournament this weekend - nine games over three days.  Stinkin' hot.  I escaped with sunburn to my shoulders where I seem to have missed them with sunscreen and then on top of my head because I don't do hats - though I did have an umbrella, just apparently not often enough.  My 14 y.o. and his team came away undefeated with first place medals in their bracket.  Besides just being great, it was AWESOME given the season they were coming out of.  They scored more goals during the tournament than during the past two regular seasons combined.

My 12 y.o. and his team took fourth place, with one win during the tournament, but they played some of their best games.  My son played with the kind of aggression and attack that we know he has, but wished he'd bring all the time.  He's incredible to watch when he's "on" and he was this weekend.  Way to go to both my boys and their teams!


The above mentioned 14 y.o. son is now officially a graduate of his school.  His graduation was Friday night and I didn't cry - bonus.  They changed the format, and I really enjoyed it being in the school gym.  He received the Academic Achievement Award (an A-average for the year in all core subjects), something he set his mind to at the start of 7th grade and has achieved for both years.  We looked over the 8th grade posters and laughed and sniffled over the changes both he and his classmates have gone through.  They were all so little.  After the ceremony the graduates headed into the Cafe-gym-atorium for their final dance.  Picking him up at 11:00 pm I was met with a face that said it didn't care he had a tournament to play in the next morning, it wanted to join his classmates over at the IHOP for the tradition of late night and pancakes and I was a big buzz kill if I thought otherwise.  I succumbed to "the face" and wandered over for no-pancakes, but an hour or so of chatting with other parents while the kids did whatever the kids did, besides filling an otherwise empty restaurant and giving the staff something to do at that time of night.

It was a very long weekend.  Very. Long.  It didn't feel like a weekend, let alone a holiday one.  We spent two eight hour days and one three hour day at the fields.  In the evenings, after showering off the sunscreen and dust, I was trying to make my house feel less cluttered before I crashed for the day.  How, tell me how, can house nobody is in all day get dirty????  Needless to say the laundry has erupted and created islands in my laundry room, the dishwasher needs emptying, the menu needs planning, the floors need sweeping and vacuuming, I'm turning a blind eye to bathrooms and I lost a day - it feels like Monday instead of Tuesday.

Because of all of that, today's inspiration is simply a color challenge.



I do love these colors, they are equally bright for summer themes and rich for fall themes.  I'm almost positive you can find them in kits from the fall.  Lighten up this color pallet and it could be the American Crafts line found in the April Bigger than a Breadbox kit.  

Remember, if you don't have kits, you can still pull from your stash using the pallet and enter to win this month's American Crafts Hello Sunshine selection.

I'm off to stand in the middle of my home and figure out where to begin.

Happy Tuesday,

No comments: