Friday, May 10, 2013

Friday Thoughs, Food and a Sketch Class

Sunny start to our day here.  Rain should be in again tonight, hopefully we'll get our early morning game in tomorrow. . .it's our only one this weekend.  I have my usual long list of want-to-do things at my elbow, as well as I am taking the 28 Days of Sketches - Part 2 over at Big Picture Classes.  We'll see what gets crossed off.

I was listening to an interview on a podcast earlier this week and they were talking about crafting in general.  How the whole DIY movement is huge.  I just have to look at my own home and life - I'm knitting, though I'm not sure how successful I'll ever be at it; I'm plugging away.  Though I've always been a home cook/baker, I've been menu planning for a couple years now, and just recently I have stepped up making more "staple items" than ever, for sure (Thanks, Pinterest.)  This will be the second year of growing our own garden, third if you count the first year where we just did tomatoes.  In general, trying to simplify life is a need for me, which seems an oxymoron considering some of the additional work it takes to DIY it. 

Anyway, this interview was talking with the CEO of CHA and a movement they are starting where they help people continue to, and share their crafting to encourage others to do so.  He sited some studies showing people who craft are happier, less stressed and seem to enjoy life more.  I know I certainly find peace when I pick up a pair of scissors and some photos, or my embroidery, or even the darn knitting needles.  His point was to share the website Cre8time.org, a social network for crafters of all kinds and abilities (eventually they will have classes and challenges and what not.)  His challenge to people was to really create time to craft.  He suggests starting with a mere 16 minutes a day.  I got to thinking about what I could do, craft-wise, with 16 minutes a day.  I could print photos, I could Instagram the photos for my weekly Project Life, I could create a page in my December Daily, I could knit a few rows on my project, I could stitch a few lines on the ornaments I'm working on.  Is it start-to-finish for a project?  No, but that's not the point.  The point is to make the time to work on something creative and it will become a habit, something that you don't have to "work in" or "reward" yourself with.  Something that's as good for you as the walk you take or the veggies you eat.

Today's inspiration is from the Apron Strings Color Theory board on Pinterest - lots of just fun colors.

 
The first kit I found with this color pallet was in January's Bigger than a Breadbox kit - the October Afternoon Midway line.  Maria Swiatkowski showcases the fun-loving colors of the line.
 
 
The second kit was the September '12 Smaller kit - the Lily Bee Double Dutch line.  Same bright colors, same broad range of uses.  Like this one from Kristin Perez.
 
 
Now after you've done your good-for-you crafting, you need to reward yourself with some super good for you Chocolate Candy Bar Cake found on the Apron Strings I Cooked That board.  I doubt, though, that your thighs will thank you, however, your spirits will soar even higher (since you're on the crafting high to start).  I made this cake on Monday and OH.  MY.  The only thing I'd recommend is after you've poured on the copious amounts of caramel and sweetened condensed milk. . .oh yes and the toffee bits, set it up in the fridge after a bit of a cool down on the counter.  The flavors will meld better.  Actually, this is a "is this the same cake" kind of thing after it sits overnight in the fridge - it gets better, though I'm sure you'll think, after your first taste, "How is that possible?"  Possible it is.  I also did not do a straight chocolate cake, I turned to my Cake Doctor book for a more-than-just-out-of-the-box better chocolate cake.


And finally, as if I haven't rambled on long enough, get your May work uploaded.  Remember if you don't have the kits, or even the lines suggested, there's sure to be something in your stash to dig out and use.  And frankly, that's the whole point.  Let's use it!  This month's goodies is a selection of American Crafts Hello Sunshine products - there's some patterned paper, a stamps set, some tags and I'll round it out with cardstock and some ribbon.  You have until the end of the month to finish any one or all of the color challenges.

 
Happy Friday,


No comments: