Friday, March 22, 2013

Food on Friday and March Madness - Day #15

The sun is out, the rain never really showed up yesterday and now they're saying snow is blowing in.  Well, since Colorado weather changes in five minutes, I'll just have to wait-and-see.

It's a no soccer weekend as the clubs have by-weekend when the public schools go on Spring Break - sounds like they'd be cancelled anyway by tomorrow's snow.  My daughter will be on break, but my older boys won't until the following week.  I'm also hoping for a better weekend than last.  And I have a knitting class for my sweater - which I am at least a class behind on since I missed it last week.  Permission to try and not let it bother me...

It's Friday, which for us means no meat, but I can't help but share a meat-a-licious recipe I cooked up on Monday.  Leave out the meat in the sauce and maybe up the cheese in the layers, or add roasted zucchini or squash in meat's place if you're celebrating a meatless-day as well.  I've said it before, I love The Pioneer Woman (her show, her blog, her cookbooks - have them both, her "romance novel" - have it, read it and her children's books - have one).  I've made her Lasagna recipe before; it's totally yummy.  The recipe on her blog is a little different that in her cookbook - nothing huge though.  On the blog she uses mozzarella slices, in the cookbook - shredded.  On the blog she uses dried parsley and basil, in the book - fresh.  See no biggie.  The only changes I made was that I used a pound and a half of Italian sausage instead of a pound of breakfast and a pound of ground beef instead of a pound and a half.  Again, see no biggie.  As with most Lasagna recipes it's a little time consuming to cook up and assemble, so you could totally do this in the morning and bake it later.  It would freeze great, too.


As I said I made this up on Monday, for the mini-celebration for my father-in-law's birthday.  So, I also made this totally cheesy, roasted garlic-y bread to go with it.  I had baked up a loaf of French Bread earlier and was just gonna do garlic toast, but being an 81st birthday thing, I thought let's fancy it up a bit.  It. Was. Awesome.  Found on the Apron Strings I Cooked That board.


Like I said, not your typical I'm-going-cropping quick meal for the family, but planned ahead, it could be done, or it's just a nice Sunday Dinner kinda-thing.

So if your plan is to create at some point this weekend, or maybe catch up your March Madness stuff for the week, then you'll need today's challenge.  I'm a pretty clean-and-simple scrapper and because of that I think of things like, "I could have inked those edges" after I've laid down whatever and realized a little ink would have set the item off a little better.  I do the same thing with torn edges - after the fact I realize it would have been a nice touch of texture.  Today, add some kind of distressing to your layout, card or other paper project.

Remember to get your projects linked up by the end of the month under the various posts.

Happy Friday,

4 comments:

Suzy said...

Loving these challenges! I distress the edges of all my PL cards to give it a connected look :)

http://scrapwithsuzy.blogspot.com/2013/03/project-life-week-seven.html

Suzanne

Deanna said...

I normally ink all my edges but I also distressed with a Heidi Swapp tool.

"You & I"
http://momentstocherish-deanna.blogspot.com/2013/03/you-i-with-we-r-memory-keepers.html

Lori said...

Distressing is such a little thing with such big impact.

Lori said...

Oh I'm so glad you're having fun. As a blogger you put stuff out and there and you wonder if anyone's reading? Hurray! Today someone is. :)