Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Use Those Scraps - Fall Canvas

Hey there, it's Maria. Have you had a chance to go through your September kit? There are some fabulous papers and embellishments in both kits this month. I had the privilege of working with the Smaller Than a Breadbox kit for this month. After finishing up my layouts and a few cards, I had enough scraps left to make this canvas: Normally, I don't venture too much outside the realm of layouts, mini-albums and cards. But, I had this 12x12 inch blank canvas (a Big Lots find for $5.00!) sitting around my scrap area for many, many months and I finally got brave enough to use it. I wanted to share how I created this canvas, it's very easy to do. First, I took the canvas and rubbed it with a very light coat of Tim Holtz Tea Dye Distress Ink. (I used a makeup sponge to apply the ink.) This took some of the brightness away from the white canvas. I'm a fan of all things linear, so I started with a grid. I cut the papers with a square Sizzix die - 3 3/4 inch square - I used a mix of the Dream Street and Pink Paislee papers. Next I distressed each edge and inked them with Tim Holtz Vintage Photo Distress Ink. I adhered each square with FabricTac glue, it holds quickly and has a great bond. To create the photo frames, I again used a Sizzix die (postage stamp frames). I cut out some recycled chipboard, inked with the Distress Ink and then covered the frames with Distress Stickles. I also die cut (Cuttlebug die) some recycled chipboard leaves, inked with various Distress Inks and Stickled a few as well. In each square I used a combination of kit embellishments, leftovers from previous kits (the green Maya Road pin and the Maya Road chipboard tree were from a March kit), die cut chipboards and some fall quotes. That's it! It really came together rather quickly and is an easy way to create a display piece. I'm already planning ahead for a Christmas canvas. Maria

No comments: